15.5.14

starlight & candles



A year ago I wrote a post about placing candles on our supper table to bring a sense of quiet and peace.  The candles helped for a while, but after a few months, my younger son graduated from sitting in a chair where he was seat-belted to sitting on a regular chair at the supper table.  Open flames and a curious, head-strong, free-ranging toddler? Not a good mix. This spelled the end of our supper time candle ritual.

Recently, however, the thought crossed my mind that flames contained within glass jars might work, and so I decided to enlist the little one, himself, to create decorative candle-jars for our table.  Usually I prefer open-ended art activities for my little one -- big sheets of paper and a box of crayons or paints, play-dough, stringing beads, etc... This goal-oriented activity felt ambitious, but I proceeded anyhow, and was pleasantly surprised.  My little one was able to follow instructions and proceed step-by-step. He was pleased to participate in the creation of something meaningful & beautiful, and the tiny glitter stars we placed on our candle holders twinkled nearly as bright as his eyes...

In case you would like to make a starlight candle lantern, too, I have written out the (very simple) instructions below.


MATERIALS
Clean glass jar(s)

Paint brush

Waxed Kite Paper or tissue paper cut or torn into rectangles and squares, between 3 cm-6 cm in size

Mod Podge (I placed a small amount in a cup for less mess and easy access)

Small star shapes -- either glitter-confetti or cut from opaque paper

note: if you cannot get Mod Podge, I think PVA or standard white craft glue, diluted with a small amount of water, would work as a substitute.


 Step 1: Paint some Mod Podge on a section of the glass jar.

Step 2: Place a piece or two of the wax or tissue paper on the area to which the Mod Podge has been applied.

Step 3: Paint a layer of Mod Podge over the bits paper.

Continue painting Mod Podge over sections of the jar, applying small pieces of paper, and then covering each section of paper with another layer of Mod Podge.


Step 4: While the Mod Podge is still wet, apply tiny stars, one by one, scattered over the surface.

Step 5: Cover each star with a dab of Mod Podge.


It might look like a mess...


But when the Mod Podge dries, it will be beautiful!  I can't wait to see what these jars look like on our table tonight with candles lit inside.  Instead of sparkling stars, we will have silhouettes of tiny stars against a glowing night sky.  Twinkle, twinkle...

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet! I must try and make these :) Happy Friday!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)