13.5.11

Jumping Pixies

Here is yet another delightful project I discovered over at Kristin's blog Kleas. What could be more fun than a passel of pixies catapulting through the air to the sounds of children gleefully shouting, "Wheeeee!" (while kitty runs in terror from the room and mama covers her head protectively against the the onslaught of projectile sprites...)

To make this game, you'll need 16 wooden balls, 3/4" in diameter and 4 colors of felt. Cut out 4 half circles from each color of felt -- your half-circles will be approx. 2" across the bottom and approx. 1" high at the top of half-circle dome. Grab your cute pin cushion (is your pin cushion infested with little green worms? apparently mine is...), sew up the half-circles into wee pixie caps, glue the caps on the wooden balls and paint some funny faces...

To make the catapult, I used a wooden tongue depressor and small piece of dowel. I sanded a flat area on one side of the dowel and glued it to the tongue-depressor.

Then I cut 2 small, donut shapes out of felt and glued them, one on top of the other, to create a place for the pixies to sit on the end of the catapult in preparation for launching.

An egg carton makes a great target board for the pixies. You are free to make up your own scoring system (or simply launch your pixies pell-mell... that's fun, too!) However, in case you're interested, here are our rules for the game: Each person takes a turn launching their pixies, and continues to launch them until all 4 of their pixies have landed in cups on the target board. We score 10 points for each pixie landing in a cup of it's own color and one point for each pixie landing in the cup of another color.


To finish up my project, I sewed this little bag stamped with a loving message.

12 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful idea - thank you for posting.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I love that visual...and I love the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the sweetest game ever! thanks for sharing, i know it would make the kids smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply wonderful!! I can just see the cats pouncing on every little pixie head...this cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Land's sake, how stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight!!! I may just join the cat in the mad dash out of the room, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cool, and it looks like the kind of game kids will want to play again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh. I am loving your blog. Will be making these for my children this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the most adorable and portable game. I think it is awesome and will be well received-we are making it today!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)